JAMES C. GUY

Minister / Counselor

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Intentional worship

Last week, I wrote an article concerning entertainment in worship, or "worship as entertainment." You can find it at: THE BIBLE SAYS. DEFINING ENTERTAINMENT IN WORSHIP. I was thinking today how our worship can be intentional, despite what is going on around us. I personally prefer a more 'spunky' worship style, but the church where I preach is pretty much bound to a more 'traditional' style. I honestly believe I can better worship God, and more specifically worship God, when those around me seem to be more "into it" and where the style is more "vibrant." Yet, I ask the question, "Do I worship every Sunday in the 'traditional style' and is that worship pleasing to God?" The answer, I believe is, "yes." Because I intentionally worship God. Oh, I think it may be missing something, and it does take a much greater INTENTION (i.e. effort). I may ask, "Why then do we not create an atmosphere where we can worship better?" Good question I believe. Yet, there are some who believe they cannot worship properly or well with the more "spunky" style of worship. Really, we should all learn to be more acomodating and flexible I believe. What I want in worship, and what style I prefer DOES matter -- some -- a little -- but not that much. What REALLY matters is that I offer myself to God with my whole heart. Though it may be more difficult in some settings than in others, who said life, especially a life of serving God, was supposed to be easy? If God sees fit to put me in a more preferred setting...thanks be to God. If He chooses otherwise...thanks be to God. Only He knows what we need. Amen? We come to realize that when we realize that worship, and indeed all of life (whether or not we call it worship) is about HIM.

Romans 14:8 For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.

-james

1 Comments:

  • At 9:38 PM, April 29, 2006, Blogger Lynn said…

    James,
    I happened onto your blog going through the search. I recognized right off a "kindred spirit." I too minister to a "traditional" group of folks for the most part. I prefer "juiced up traditional" I guess. I do say a hardy AMEN to your conclusion. I also have followed the links to the Canal Heights site as well as your Faith site. On the Canal site you have the 7 God Given Purposes of the church. We are having a "Friends and Family day tomorrow and it is my task to teach a combined youth and adult class. I would like to use that in the class with your permission.
    Lynn Money
    Sherwood church of Christ, Odessa, TX web site www.sherwoodcofc.org

     

Post a Comment

<< Home